This design assignment was tricky, as we were restricted to using certain shapes. But I'm just glad it didn't have to be in color.
This is a stonehenge stamp design for another assignment. I probably spend more time coming up with the idea than painting it. The original is 11" x 11" and the fully reduced version is 1" x 1".
This was one of a couple of assignments given to my class by architect Larry Woodin. It is a 47.5" x 15.5" piece of foam core cut out as a window design. I first made the design in Adobe Illustrator scaled it to a pencil grid on the foam core, and the rest just took hours of exacto-knife carving. Inspiration came from Japanese Kabuto beetles.
Early process shot:
This painting was for a collaboration assignment, where we adopt the style and composition of a well-known portrait artist's work. I basically inserted an androgynous version of myself into Peyton's "Tony" piece.
These next few were painted from a live model, but the last was painted only from references and memory. They were exercises in figurative abstraction, which was (and still is) quite new to me. The second turned out much better than the rest, but all of these were more fun to do than I thought they would be. The first two are oils on gessoed paper and the last is oil on 18" x 24" stretched canvas.
This is the last painting of my class. We were pretty free to paint whatever we wanted for this final assignment, so I wanted to do something in my own style. Painted mostly from memory and imagination, I don't think this piece is as strong as it could have been, but I struggled a lot with it and I think I learned a lot from it.
This is about 3/5 of the work I did last quarter, so I might post a few things I missed later. Otherwise, for the next several weeks I'll try to crank some sketches and a few digital paintings. Thanks for looking!