Monday, August 8, 2011

Busy busy

So life on my own is getting in the way of my art... but I'm getting used to it. I just gotta wake up at a reasonable time, work enough to pay rent, and put the time into my portfolio...
That being said, I'm finally calling this one done, and moving on to something new. Much thanks for Kyle for telling me I wasn't done when I thought I was. I ended up learning a lot.
*Click to enlarge*

'Grappler sharks' live near the surface and use the eyes on the tops of their heads as light meters to camouflague their bodies to prey that swims beneath them. Though fast on their own, they prefer to sneak up on prey and latch onto it with their pharyngeal jaws before reeling it in. In this illustration it's attacking a human in an uncharacteristic fashion, adding to the many accounts of bizarre or aggressive behavior the planet's animals exhibit in the presence of humans...
Process animation.
And some concept sketches that lead to the final painting:

No comments: